Tuesday, May 11, 2010

day of the Dalí


May 11th was once the birthday of a very famous Catalonian, the moustachioed attention-loving eccentric genius known as Salvador Dalí. I wrote an article for Suite101 on Dalí's famed 1931 melting time dreamscape The Persistence of Memory and it has always gotten the most page views of all my articles every single day for almost two years. Nobody ever beats him -- not even Picasso. Because that's just the enduring power of Dalí's supposedly headache and gooey cheese-induced vision, expressed upon a canvas that's much smaller than most people expect it to be. This Dalí alarm clock can help you start your day off in a pleasantly bizarre manner, and since Dalí himself seemed to love the combination of art and enterprise, I'm sure he'd approve.

The only difference between me and the Surrealists is that I am a Surrealist. -- Salvador Dali